• The EXE file opens in Notepad.
• EXE file opens in some other installed programs.
• Windows displays "Open With" dialog box to choose the program.
• Windows shows error message, "Windows cannot find .exe file. Make sure you typed the name correctly".
1. Open a DOS prompt window:
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys and open "Task Manager". Hold down the "CTRL" key and click on "New Task" button and it'll open a Command Prompt window.
If your login account doesn’t have admin right, then you need to do this by opening a new DOS window with “runas” command from the DOS window:
runas /user:DomainXXXXX\AdminAccountYYYYY cmd
it will open another DOS window with your admin account.
From the new DOS window, use “regedit” to open the registry editor.
2. Go to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe”. In the right-side pane, change the value of “Default” key to "exefile"
3. Go to “HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command”. In the right-side pane, change the value of “Default” key to: "%1" %*
4. Exit Registry Editor and reboot.