2008-09-18

Using Task Sequence Variables to customize deployments - Ronni Pedersen @ myITforum.com

Using Task Sequence Variables to customize deployments - Ronni Pedersen @ myITforum.com: "Living in a non-english speaking country like Denmark, I often have to deal with deploying English versions of Windows XP and/or Windows Vista, with other Regional Settings, Keyboard Settings, Time Zones etc.

In the past I've created a VBScript to modify the sysprep.inf or the unattend.xml, after laying down the image on the client. The values were configured with Collection Variables or Computer Variables. The script collected the value during deployment, and replaced the value in the sysprep.inf or unattend.xml file before restarting into mini setup.

This year at TechEd in Orlando, I attened a great session on Windows Deployment with Configuration Manager (Part 1 of 4) with Michael Kelly. In this session he showed a demo, where he created a custom variable ('XRes' and 'YRes'), and typed the variable direct in sysprep.inf like this:

sysprep.inf:
[Display]
XResolution=%XRes%
YResolution=%YRes%

This was a simple example, but it gave me a lot of ideas to work with. And as a result of this, I no longer need my 'fancy' script to take care of my deployments anymore. This is how I do it now (example):"

Read more:
http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rpedersen/archive/2008/07/01/using-task-sequence-variables-to-customize-deployments.aspx

No comments: